A burglary in your own home can be a disturbing experience that can affect you and your family for a long time after the mess is cleared up and the insurance paperwork is completed.
Thwart a potential burglar by taking simple crime prevention measures
Don’t let a burglar in
This autumn, Cusworth Master Locksmiths are reminding Wilmslow residents to protect themselves from becoming a victim of burglary:
The majority thefts and burglaries are lazy and opportunistic; they will look an easy target.
Easy access to rear of property- Keep gates locked and secure from wandering visitors
High value goods on view – Laptops, Cameras, iPads and car keys on view from windows
Signs that the house is unoccupied – Newspapers and milk bottles on doorstep curtains and lights not changing – ask a neighbour to watch over whilst you’re away
- Install external security lighting that stays on throughout the night using dusk ’till dawn sensors.
- Make sure your house looks occupied even when it isn’t. Use an time switch to turn interior lights on and off. Leave a radio on.
- Keep your front and back doors shut and locked – even when you are at home.
- Fit window locks and ensure French windows and patio doors are secure.
- Never leave door keys, car keys or other valuables in view and reach of a letterbox or window.
- Secure your garage and shed too – equipment kept in a garage or shed can be just as tempting for a burglar (your own tools and ladders can be very useful to a burglar!)
- If you can, install a NARCOS approved burglar alarm and set it every time you leave your home.
- Register your property on the Immobilise website (opens new window) – it’s free of charge and can increase your chances of being reunited with your property.
- Install an app on your phone/tablet so that it can be traced.
Unsure about security? Contact us or call 01625 250 275 for security advice in Wilmslow