Recently moved into a new home?
Follow these 7 tips to ensure you’re as safe and secure as possible:
As Master Locksmiths, we regularly advise new homeowners in Cheshire and surrounding areas to take the following steps to ensure the security of their homes:
- Replace all locks that can be opened from outside: The first thing you should do when you move into a new home is to replace all the locks. This ensures that you are the only one with access to your home. You never know who might have a spare key or who might have made a copy of the previous owner’s key.
- Install high-security locks: Consider upgrading your locks to high-security locks. These types of locks are more difficult to snap, pick, bump, or drill than standard locks. They provide an extra layer of protection to your home and are worth the investment. look for markings to identify security levels
- Install deadlocks: Deadlocks or sashlocks to BS3621 are essential for securing your traditional wooden doors. Make sure you have a deadbolt installed on every exterior door. This makes it more difficult for someone to force their way into your home.
- Install a doorviewer: A peephole allows you to see who is at your door before you open it. This is especially important if you live alone or have children.
- Install a security system: A security system can provide you with peace of mind and protect your home from burglars. There are many different types of security systems available, so do your research and choose one that fits your needs and budget. A smart doorbell can dissuade a casual thief.
- Keep your keys safe: Don’t leave your keys in an obvious place, such as under a doormat or in a flower pot. Instead, consider using a key holder or using an approved keysafe.
- Be cautious with strangers: Be cautious when opening your door to strangers, and always ask for identification. Don’t let anyone into your home unless you are certain they are who they say they are.
By following these tips, you can help ensure the security of your new home in Cheshire. Contact us for advice