As PVC doors and windows are now very common in Manchester, there is a misconception that they are maintenance free. whilst this may be true from a decorating point of view, the locking and hinge mechanisms require attention from time to time. follow these steps to ensure ongoing service.
1. Oil the locking strip on edge of door twice a year, paying attention to any bolts, rollers, deadbolts and hooks. With the door open, operate the handle up and down to ensure the oil has worked into the moving parts. It is best to use spray oil with an application tube (not WD40, as this is not a good lubricant, GT85 or 3 in 1 is better)
2. Spray a small amount of light oil into both keyholes of the euro cylinder (beware your key will be dirty for a few days each time you use it)
3. Oil the joint between the lever handle and the back plate.
4. Lubricate the pivots on the hinges.
5. Wipe away the excess oil with kitchen towel
6. Clean the black sealing gasket around the door with a damp cloth
The door now Should be tested for alignment.
1. Push the door closed. It should smoothly click shut with the latch without slamming.
2. The door, whilst on the latch, should not rattle in the frame and seal. There is normally some adjustment on the strike plate to adjust where the door clicks shut.
3. Once closed on the latch, lift the handle to throw the rollers and bolts. Is this stiffer in operation than when the door was open? If you need to use excess force to throw the boltwork, this will eventually break the gearbox on the locking strip requiring expensive renewal. What is actually happening is that one or more of the bolts or rollers is not correctly aligned with the corresponding pocket or plate in the frame.
If you are still having problems, contact us for service in the Wilmslow, Stockport, Macclesfield areas
Please also check how much the europofile cylinder projects from the handle baseplate. This is very important, if the euro cylinder sticks out more than about 6mm it is vulnerable to attack, enabling an intruder to quietly gain entry through the door in about 30 seconds please contact us for free advice.